Happy MONDAY! Yes. I'm late AGAIN, but you know what? I'm happy about it.
Yes. I know that I usually have my blog up and runnin' by Saturday or Sunday, but I have been doing something so completely OUT OF THE ORDINARY that it just can't be done anymore: I've been HAVING A LIFE!
I know that I am the Crazy Baykah, but honestly, that title was becoming increasingly MORE true with each week that Retro has been open...and I just can't take it anymore. I HAD to give MYSELF some time.
*Full Disclosure: In the beginning stages of opening your bakery, you will find that you have absolutely NO TIME for anything you USED to do: groceries, laundry, EATING...and this is fine for a bit. You HAVE to make a routine...but then the routine will become just that: ROUTINE....and you may lose your mind and wonder WHAT you're doing and WHY you're doing it. SO, my cure? GET SOME FRIENDS AND GO OUT.
*MORE Full Disclosure: You may find that after you open your doors, your current friends will no longer be in the picture. This is a VERY harsh reality. BUT, you aren't going to be able to be the friend that you are today. You are NOW a bakery OWNER with 1000 things to do on an hourly basis...AND (in my case) it might take two years before you can start reintroducing yourself to the NON-BAKERY-RELATED world.
*EVEN MORE Full Disclosure: I know you're thinking, "My friends are totally supportive. I KNOW they would come visit me, and I'll have exactly the same friendships I have right now." I'm telling you that you're wrong. Your TRUE friends MAY just hang around...but a lot of people won't put up with your long hours and exhausted attitude. I am telling the TRUTH. I am VERY lucky to have maintained only a FEW of my relationships from three years ago...AND that's because they are SUPER understanding people who have their OWN businesses and TOTALLY get that it becomes YOUR LIFE.
*FULLEST DISCLOSURE OF ALL: I tell you this Bakery Wannabes because owning your own place is a FULL LIFE CHANGE. You will become a totally different person in good ways and in bad. You will BE YOUR OWN BOSS and get to EXPRESS YOUR CREATIVE SELF. BUT, some days you won't know yourself. You'll be too tired to know your CHILDREN...and you CERTAINLY won't have time for friends (unless they come to your bakery and even THEN you'll probably want them to just do dishes, so you don't have to do them).
THIS is why I am made it a priority (now that Retro has a GREAT crew that I can TRUST) to give myself a LIFE: go to dinner with friends, get a haircut, EXERCISE, go to LUNCH with Brian. Baby steps, I know....but you have to realize that THIS IS YOUR LIFE and EVERY WEEK WILL BE THE SAME: bake, frost, sell, clean...unless you start to inject some ME time, so you can start LIVING outside of the bakery.
And that's OK. It's OK to have both: your bakery and your life.
(Can you tell my birthday is coming up, and I'm starting to FREAK OUT and really THINK about life??? I do it every year...AND Oprah has started her last season on daytime TV...so that doesn't help. I know I'm CRAZY, but knowing is half the battle).
ENOUGH about ME...Here are the Cupcakes/Cakes O' the Week!
Twins Baby Shower cake:
Surf's Up!
Baby Biscuits cake!
Monkey birthday cake:
Married in Las Vegas Dice Cake:
It's my FAVORITE Fall Wedding Cupcake Tower EVER:
Topper cake with fondant flowers:
And ALL TOGETHER (their cake topper says their names, Teresa and Miguel):
What a week...and THIS WEEK??? We get to do ANOTHER cake for Betsey Johnson!!! She's coming to Vegas, and OF COURSE she needs a cake to celebrate her latest collection. We are SO excited to do this cake!!! Watch the video of her latest show and try to GUESS what our cake will look like:
http://www.thedailybeast.com/video/item/Fashion-Week-Betsey-Johnson-Spring-2011
Thursday is the big day for that one...this time I may even get to meet Betsey HERSELF (Brian was lucky enough to meet her last year!!).
You know what? As crazy as my life is...I wouldn't trade it for the world.
Laytah.
3 comments:
Even though your honesty scares me I think it's helpful :) Glad you're getting some ME time.
Hi! Just came across your blog and it's brilliant! Love the bakery and cakes you do and the advice you give is brill! I would love to have a bakery but the thought of it does daunt me, I wouldn't even know who to hire to work for me - I'd need people with similar passion. I would like to start off with doing small orders from home or even larger orders from a hired kitchen and possiblly progress from there. What do you think? Any advice would be gratefulx
Kari, I'm diggin' what you're sayin'.
Post a Comment