Monday, September 27, 2010

Baby, Are You Down Down Down Down Down???

Ello Baykahs!
That exclamation point up there is a bit of a farce. I'm really not that excited to be here right now...I GOTTA BE HONEST.
We did have one of the BEST weeks EVER at Retro this past week....I got to meet a fashion ICON that I have been a HUGE fan of for over 20 years, Betsey Johnson!! BUT, as the universe always has to balance itself, I also made one of the biggest mistakes I could possibly make....

What goes up...must come down.

First, BETSEY!!!
The entire family got to go down to the Miracle Mile Shops at Planet Hollywood to meet Betsey HERSELF! She was just visiting the store, and the store manager had emailed me to see if we could make her another cake (like last year).

OF COURSE!!!!

I watched the video of her latest runway show and got inspired. The first couple of evening dresses on the runway were ALL airbrushed with bright neon colors, and ALL of the models were wearing sparkly necklaces that read, "RIDE ME."

So...what do you think the cake looked like?????

Of COURSE, I wasn't going to miss an opportunity to put RIDE ME on a CAKE!!!!

Here it is:
Six NEON layers of RETRO goodness!!! Each layer was a different Retro flavor, and the biggest was Betsey's FAVORITE flavor from last year: Cotton Candy!
It was one of the HEAVIEST cakes we've ever done...and Brian and I had to carry it together through the MALL....what a scene. BUT, when we got to the store, everyone was cheering and clapping when they saw the cake. TOTALLY WORTH IT!

And what did BETSEY think???
She loved it, TOO!!!
She put her champagne glass RIGHT on top of it!! She tried to pick the cake up for the picture, but I assured her the cake would KILL her if she tried to pick it up...it was THAT heavy.

Betsey is a GREAT woman, full of energy and passion. It was SO incredible to meet her! AND I was so happy that she got to meet my girls! Talk about a woman to look up to!Betsey is a TRUE ICON in fashion. We are so honored to have made another cake for her. I still can't believe that the stars finally aligned and that the entire FAMILY got to meet her!

So...that was the HIGH of the week....the LOW? A mistake of EPIC proportions.

I honestly can't go into it because I believe in baker/caker confidentiality, BUT I made a HUGE mistake that I can't remedy. Let's just say that I almost fired myself on Saturday.

So, we don't have any pictures of any other cakes...not only because we didn't have many custom cakes this week...or because I was making so many MINI cupcakes that I couldn't take pics anyway...but REALLY it was because I was so distraught over my mistake that I BARELY could think about taking pictures of ANYTHING.

I really just wanted to crawl inside a hole and DIE.

There, I said it.

It was a big mistake....monumental. And believe me, it will NEVER happen again.

SO, I WILL BAKE ON...and go SLOWER and BE MORE CAREFUL....and get SH*T RIGHT next time.

Laytah.

4 comments:

Pink Little Cake said...

Beautiful cake! And now I am wondering what you did!wanting to fire yourself? it must have been really bad.

Lainie said...

Don't be too hard on yourself. You are one person and human, it happens, especially when there is always so much going on.
I made a absolutely huge mistake as well a couple years ago. It was brutal and I felt sick for days about it. It was a wedding and I totally f'd it up. The bride wanted to kill me and I would have gladly let her but looking back now, in the scheme of life, shit happens. Luckily for us quick learners, these things really do only have to happen once!
Hang in there girl, you have been kickin ass with this for a couple years now, one big mistake ain't bad.
Don't let it hurt your spirit!

Charlie Nicole said...

Well now everyone just wants to know what happened! Tease!!!! hahaha Don't be too hard on yourself girl!

Anonymous said...

God bless you for being honest!!! I made a huge mistake about a week ago and have been mulling and fuming over it. I know it's best to just move on so....move it on, girl.