
So here we are...my husband, Brian, and I have made the decision that could potential change our lives forever: open our own bakery is Las Vegas. Do we have a concept? Yes. Do we have a business plan? Yes. Do we have money? A little. Do we have recipes? The best! Do we have the courage? I guess we'll find out.
My name is Kari Haskell. I've been baking for friends and family for years and years. I'm 31 now, and I'm literally using the same pie recipes I was given in my food class in high school. But now that I've done a little research, the money may not be in the pies; it seems that cupcakes have become sweet gold. So three months ago I gave myself a goal: finish a business plan for our bakery, Retro Bakery. Little did I know that that goal would turn into a full-on obsession with all things cupcakes.
I finished the business plan, designed and perfected the concept, and moved on to creating the menu...At first I wanted cupcakes, cakes, pies, and cookies (pies and cookies were my specialty). Then I realized that I couldn't possibly bake all those different items on a daily basis, especially since I wanted a HUGE cupcake menu. I thought cupcakes could be fun, but I didn't know how much creativity they could actually bring out in me. Once I decided I wanted a menu almost completely original from anyone else, I became a woman on a buttercream mission. I wanted a simple cake recipe, but really have the uniqueness in the buttercream and toppings...and that's exactly what I did. I created over 10 unique recipes I haven't seen anywhere else...especially in Las Vegas.
I had to give up my precious cookies (unless I want to throw them into the mix just for fun on some days), and we decided just to create "Pie Season," where we will do my signature Pecan and Spicey Pumpkin pies from Nov.-Jan. This way, it leaves the door open to concentrate on what people want: CUPCAKES! However, we decided to let the people decide for themselves, so we will also offer cupcakes, cake-sized. Because sometimes you just need more, right??
So you'd think that once we've determined our name, concept, menu, and packaging that the next step would be easy, right? NO WAY! What's next? Finding a reasonably priced contractor...that's what's coming in my next posts...
Until then, enjoy my picture of Fruitylicious.
I'm Out.
4 comments:
Thanks for this blog, it is a great help and support. You did exactly what I did with the menu. I am stuck on costing my ingredients and I can't seem to find anyone who knows how it is to be done correctly. However, I am determine to finish this plan very soon. Thanks again.
Mary
2746There are several websites that will show you how to set up your cost sheets for your cupcakes. Just go on line and look for pricing of cupcsakes or ingredients. There are several reputable companies that will let you download for free. I hope this helps. We are trying to get the Oklahoma Cottage Food Law passed for so we can stay home and work to sell to friends and family. I do not know if Nevada has the law or not. You can go on line and see all the states that have decided to allow stay at home moms to bake without the cost of setting up a storefront. Okiebaker
I'm very glad that I found your blog because as trial and error's go I tried to get my cupcake business up and going once but error'ed in the customer base and the financial analysis portion of my business plan and failed.
I have been possessed once again by cupcakes and feel that I am in the right place, right time and have many more recipes and a decorator to be successful this time.
My question is this: what are some resources that will assist me in creating a financial analysis/plan?
Thank you
Robin Stotts
Thank you for the information I will look online for the cost sheets. In ADA county, Boise Idaho the only way that I would be able to stay at home and start my business is if I had a second kitchen that would only be used for the baking business and it would still need to be inspected by the health department.
Post a Comment