Wednesday, September 5, 2007

Day 4 Red Velvet Nightmares


I had never heard of red velvet cake until I moved to NV. Being from Oregon, and red velvet cake apparently being a favorite in the South, I can understand this; however, now that I want to open a bakery, everyone and their dogs are yelling, "DO YOU MAKE RED VELVET?!?!" So, I've been trying red velvet, eating what I can find around town, and here's my impression of red velvet, "EHH?!" I do need to tell you that I'm not a cream cheese frosting fan, and since that is what you taste first, I instantly don't fall head-over-heels....I like myself some buttercream and FRESH DAIRY whipped cream...no non-dairy....it's whipped CREAM, right?

So Bri is insistant that since he tried it, red velvet is his FAVORITE, so I must add it to the menu. Since we're doing a Daily Flavor menu, I figure it's a good compromise. I add it to Friday and call it "Red Carpet Velvet Cake." I'm topping it with red glitter sugar for a little glamour...like walking a red carpet on a Friday night for your movie premire....I love Hollywood.
**thinks about Keanu...Bri looks and talks just like Keanu...**
OOPS! I lost my train of thought...
Oh YEAH:
Now, since I've added it to the menu, I must perfect this recipe, so last night was my first try. I had purchased the ingredients a week ago, and it requires buttermilk...but wait, my buttermilk says EXPIRES August 25! I say, "Hey Brian, if this hasn't been open, it's still good, right?"


"Yes," he says.

It wasn't...

I had to do a mix of whole milk and skim...that evens out, right?? And of course I'm out of red food coloring, so just a few drops left of what I have...instead of two tablespoons...and TA DA! Dry cake! What a shocker!!! However, it looked beautiful. I love my new tips!


I'm trying the recipe again today. I HAVE to master it, it's keeping me up at night! I love the name, so it has to be on the menu!! It's my little piece of Hollywood glamour!!!! :)

Until then, above is the final product...looks great, tastes BAD...and in Hollywood, it would fit right in.

No comments: