Ello Baykahs-
Ya know...you tell yourself that it's ok to take a break on blogging because you just CANNOT think of one more thing to write about that is DIFFERENT...and then you realize you haven't blogged since August...
A U G U S T?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!
Truth be told, I have written a couple of posts that were just CRAP...so, I just never pushed PUBLISH. I pushed SAVE. I pushed DELETE. I pushed FORGET IT I QUIT.
The TRUTH truth is I have been going through some pretty tough times recently...and, I kinda hid in the kitchen baking the time away...hoping that if I just stay there then everything will be fine. But it isn't...
We lost our Head Baker, Chris Snazzy, exactly one week ago.
CALM DOWN, HE ISN'T DEAD.
BUT, we did lose him to The Strip. And, quite frankly, once someone goes to work on The Strip they NEVER COME BACK. Mom and Pops can't compete with $16 an hour, 8-hour work days, and full benefits. SO....I can't blame him for going. It is a GREAT opportunity for him....
BUT IT HIT ME HARD.
I have known Snazzy since he came to work for us as an intern five years ago. He quickly became our Head Baker and a LITERAL member of my family. I worked with him 10 hours a day...AT LEAST. He wasn't just our baker. He was the guy who made me forget the drudgery of baking the SAME THING EVERY DAY ALL DAY. He made me laugh. He told great stories. He was the KING OF BULLSHITTING. He made the entire crew smile. As Lucy put it, "Without Snazzy, Retro is DULL."
Lucy is right. Without Snazzy, Retro IS dull....but I know that will change. It's just a week into our "new normal" as I call it. We haven't found a baker yet (Brian and I have been taking on the duties), but when we do find THAT PERSON it will feel a little LESS stressful....and HOPEFULLY a little happier.
BUT DO NOT GET ME WRONG. It will NOT be the same. It is a true END OF AN ERA. Our CORE of FOUR (Kim Chew, Brian, Me, and Snazz) isn't there anymore. We are trying to find a our footing with two less feet.
TO SNAZZ- I am so proud of you for wanting more for your life and walking your own path to get there. You are such a beam of light in everyone's lives. And I know whatever you choose to do, you will be successful because you have a crowd of people who would never let you fall. Whatever you need we are here for you.
Full disclosure: I've been trying to write this post for TWO WEEKS. I have stopped and started about nine times....and I think this is the one I'm ACTUALLY going to publish...
So, RETRO BAKERY IS HIRING! HEAD BAKER WANTED. Must be willing to work hard, bake hard, and put up with my BULLSHIT ALL DAY. Email your resume retrobakery@hotmail.com.
I guess this post means I'm back to bloggin' again. I don't know how often it will be, BUT I will do my best to bring you the cakes we've done....and keep you up to date on other stuff I want to bitch about.
Laytah.
No comments:
Post a Comment