Monday, June 6, 2016
So, Baby, Time's Gettin' a Little Crazy
Ello Baykahs-
It's me...
Remember me? Kari Haskell? Owner of Retro Bakery in Las Vegas???
Well, that WAS me...up until about two months ago. I decided that I had to let it all go to get what I really wanted: MY SANITY.
I know I used to joke all the time about being "CRAZY" or "THE CRAZY BAYKAH," but sadly it became not such a joke and became a lifestyle. I was so caught up in trying to make Retro the most successful, best, most delicious, most INSERT POSITIVE ADJECTIVE HERE that I forgot MYSELF. I forgot that one of the most important parts of life is LIVING...not just working. So, I became a woman who literally worked herself into a place where ALL SHE DID WAS WORK. I had completely shut off my entire "life"...and that included my marriage.
Let's not pretend that I had the happiest of marriages. I had a happy family. And we did happy things...we always visited the happiest place on earth. But there was one thing missing...A HAPPY MARRIAGE.
Without going into the GORY details, it just became me asking myself, "if my daughters came to me with how I am currently feeling my advice to them would be GET OUT." So I did...almost a year and a half ago...and for a while my exhusband and I worked together with a common goal of taking care of our children AND Retro...until I just couldn't do it anymore. My time at Retro had to come to an end, so KARI could have a beginning.
And now I DO have a beginning.
I have decided to open a new bakery this Fall in North Las Vegas with the love of my life, Richard Garcia. I get to be as creative and hands-on as I want to be with him making sure I don't work too hard and carrying the load when it gets too heavy for me.
Our bakery, tsp. baking company, will be everything I ever wanted for RETRO but was never given the chance. We will have ice cream. We will have ONLY mini cupcakes. We will have A DISCO BALL!!!!
Let me close this blog with what I would tell that CRAZY BAYKAH nine years ago... "Hey girl. This bakery isn't going to save you or your marriage, but it will make you stronger than you ever thought possible, even if you think you aren't. Don't get bogged down with the short term. THINK BIG, and don't let fear stand in your way...it's just fear. Oh yeah, and when you're off work, YOU'RE OFF WORK. You're a baker not a doctor."
And to you, Baykahs...thank you for letting me take two years off to go through the hardest years of my life in order to get to the SWEETEST part yet.
Laytah Baykahs
p.s. I think this blog needs a fresh start LIKE ME, so if you would like to keep up with the new bakery go here: just the tsp.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
I missed your posts but it sounds like you've made an amazing decision!
Take this to heart: you inspire other people.
That's a rare thing.
Keep going.
I have a small cupcake shop in southwest Missouri (Stacey's Sweets). I have been following your blog here for many years, and you are such an inspiration. It's hard to find people who "get it". Just wanted you to know how much I appreciate your writing, and wish you the best of luck in your new adventure!!
Thank you for years of delicious goodies at Retro, thank you for the update, and don't every forget those "lessons learned".
Best wishes with your new life!
wow Kari, You blow me away! I was thinking about you this morning and thought I'd check out your blog. Who knew all that was going on. I wish you all the best and already bookmarked your new blog. We live similar lives, I swear! haha
Post a Comment